Berly's Blog

Friday, May 06, 2005

Schools, Schooling, etc.

I think I am starting to blog like my good friend Brooke . I believe I may becoming a controversial blogger. I mentioned on my blog yesterday about a conversation that went on at the baby shower Wednesday night about public school vs. Private school. I just want everyone to know, I wasn't offended or upset by the conversation. I was just bothered that I couldn't give my real opinion because I could see that the conversation would have gotten heated and would have ruined the baby shower. That is why I put my opinion down on my blog, to get it off my chest.

I also got a question from my dear friend Maura in TN asking "What do you think of home schooling?" This is a question that I have been asked frequently in my last few years. I have been asked by family, who home school their kids, a woman in our knitting group, who also home schooled her kids, and now my friend Maura. What do you think of home schooling????? Here is my answer. I think that it just depends on the child. I personally do not think it would be a good thing for Gemma and Angus. I am an ultra-social person and I can tell from Gemma's personality she is too. She loves people and needs to be surrounded by them frequently. If I home schooled I think I would be taking her away from that. I know there are home school groups in which you interact with other home schooled kids, but to me it is just not the same. I also want my children to be able to function in society. I am not saying that home schooled children cannot, I just think it might be more difficult for home schooled children to do so. As I said in my previous post, how well a child does in public or private school is really up to the parent. I think home schooling might just be a little too much parent. The other reason I don't like the concept of home schooling is because I see how curriculums have grown over the years and the opportunities that children have these days at public school are tremendous. I don't think that children would have the same opportunities at being home schooled. So Maura, those are my reasons.

2 Comments:

  • Kim I know we don't agree on everything but I completely agree with everything you said about public school vs. private and also home schooling. Every public school is different and it is what you put into it. I'm very lucky that my kids are in great public schools. We have also always chosen our home location on what school we wanted our kids to go to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 PM  

  • Kim -

    Every parent has to do what she/he thinks is best for their kids. My daughter went to public school...if I had to do it all over again...she would be enrolled in a private school.

    One thing I learned - no matter how involved the parents are if the teachers do not or can not teach - the child will not learn. I was a diligent parent - still I do not think my daughter got a good education in public schools.

    By Blogger JanetsJourney.com, at 5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home