Berly's Blog

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Babies, babies, babies!

annette_tracy_jill_kim

Annette H., Tracy, Jill and me.

group

The attendees!

Last night Annette H. and Tracy W. (who is an avid reader of berly's blog) threw a shower for Tracy's sister Jill. It was at the pottery place Mind Over Splatter in downtown Chandler. The shower was a surprise and Jill was definitely surprised. We were able to bring in food, cake, wine, and non-alcoholic drinks for the pregos.

cake

The cake by In Pockets.

kathy_jill

Jill with her Mom Kathy from Oregon.

jill_kelly

Jill with our friend Kelly who is due 5 days before Jill.

I have to say I had a wonderful time making a switch plate for Gemma's bedroom and I definitely would like to go again sometime soon.

I do have to comment on one of the conversations last night. I have strong feelings about something that was said last night, but I didn't really want to get into at a baby shower. A few people started talking about private school vs. public school. This has been something that I have been thinking about since Gemma was born. I believe both schools have their benefits. I also believe that I will be sending my children to public school. The reason that we are going to do this is that we believe it isn't the teachers and schools sole responsibility to educate our children. I believe that it is our responsibility. I look back at the schooling that I received in elementary and high school and yes, it could have been better, but my parents could have been more involved with my education and I could have been more interested. It wasn't until I moved to Minneapolis did I take interested in other things besides TV and sports. I because more politically aware + my interest in music intensified. It definitely helps to be in a larger city where there are more opportunities both academically and culturally. Being married to Jonny has also opened a whole new world to me, literally. He has transformed me into a curious person about things such as history, geography (although I was always pretty good at that), politics, and general awareness of international cultures and to respect them. I am no longer scared to ask questions and I think this has made me a more educated person. We will definitely try our 'being involved' method with our kids and the public school in our city and see how it goes. No offense to the private school friends I have out there. Different schools work for different families.

Tonight I have card club, which will be a Cinco de Mayo party. I have had this feeling of wanting to stay home lately, so I am not sure if I will make it or not.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks so much for last night. I too agree with you on public vs. private. Everyone has a different opinion for different reasons but it is up the the parents to get involved. Not to mention that back when we were in school in the 70's and 80's they didn't have all of the programs the public schools now have available. Peyton takes yoga free at school and I feel so lucky she can do that. Try not to be upset by comments though. Jill

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

  • I've always believed that education has a lot to do with what one puts into it. I think you hit the nail right on the head - parent involvement is a big key to a good education. I don't have kids, but I know how much it meant to me as a child, that my parents participated as much as they did.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home