Berly's Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Beautiful Wedding

church_1

The church in Stirling, Scotland

After getting caught up on much needed sleep, we got back on a plane and headed to Scotland for the wedding of one of Jonny’s roommate from college, Adrian Lobley and his lovely bride Dot. I generally dread going to weddings in the UK because frankly I can’t keep up with the drinking and usually have to deal with a very silly husband. I also very self conscious of what I wear to the wedding as everyone dresses so gorgeous for weddings.

The bride was absolutely gorgeous and the groom was as handsome as ever. I always thought Jonny’s friend Adi was a cutie, but there is just something about men in kilts!

adi_dot_1

Adrian and Dot

I would have to say that the wedding was the tamest I have ever attended, in the UK that is. We have all aged, so no one is able to party like rock stars anymore + most everyone has small children and the thought of having to care for your kids with a hangover is not appealing in the least. We were delighted to see all of Jonny’s friends from University. They always seem to pick up from where they left off. It was also great seeing everyone’s partners too. I always feel so welcome! Of course everyone looked fabulous and stylish.

boys_1

From the left: Big Paul, Murray, Cogs, Jonny, Murph, Ban, Sean, and Quiet Man
(Can you guess which guys are Scottish and which are Irish???)

adi_1

Adi the handsome groom!

bride_dad_1

The beautiful bride and her Dad


The service was beautiful and then we went on to the reception at the University in Stirling. We all met up for drinks before the dinner and had a great time catching up. Instead of talking about our careers we were all having a ball talking about our kids. Everyone seemed to be sad that the kids weren't able to attend the wedding, so they all could play together. We had a lovely dinner which included an appetizer of haggis, tatties and neeps, which I passed on (generally I would have passed on it, but they also offered potato leek soup!), but had a bite of Jonny's and it was fabulous! The main course was salmon or chicken and pavlova or creme bruleedessertesset. I know many people in the US don't think British food is good, but I have to say the food I have had in the UK is probably the most creative, flavorful food I have ever had and this meal was very yummy. After dinner the drinks kept flowing and the band started. I was able to get pictures of Jonny's friends and their partner to share with everyone.

jonny_kim_1

Jonny and me

sean_rachel_1

Sean (one of our groomsmen) and Rachel

murray_sue_1

Murray (one of Jonny’s roommate from University) and Sue

melanie_damian_1

Murph and Melanie

mark_joanna_1

Quiet Man and Joanna

Pete_Sam_1

Ban and Sam

brian_nicola_1

Cogs and Nicola

We also did a bit of Ceilidh dancing. Jonny and I don't know how to Ceilidh dance, but it is a bit like Square Dancing. Most of the us went out and tried to dance, but we weren'tsuccessfulessful. We were hosuccessfulessful in ticking off a few more serious dancers. We had a ball trying and I don't think I have laughed that hard in a long time.

ceilidh_dancing_1
feeble feble attempt at Ceilidh dancing!

murray_kilt_1

Murray in his kilt (I managed not tanyone'snyones family jewels this wedding!)

ban_hair_1

Ban and his hair (one of my avid blog readers!)

All in all the evening was a ton of fun! Jonny and I were safely in bed by about 2 a.m. and slept in until almost 10 a.m. We look forward seeing everyone again in the next couple of years. Hopefully we will some of our friends will be visiting us in China!

3 Comments:

  • You looked amazing and so did the bride, and Jonny too of course. Looks like a beautiful church and a fun group at the wedding. I would love to go to Scotland some day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 AM  

  • Your dress is beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 PM  

  • I'm so psyched to finally see your picture! You look fantastic! Weddings are the bomb. Everybody always has a great time.

    By Blogger VeryApeAZ, at 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home