Berly's Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Beautiful Northern Ireland

Today we were able to visit the most beautiful and popular sites in Northern Ireland. We were in Co. Antrim enjoying the majestic view of the Antrim coast. Imagine every color of green you could think of, hexagonal stone pillars of all shapes and sizes, teal ocean water, and lots of cows and sheep and that was our day.

We started our day at the Giant's Causeway. The Giant Causeway are incredible rock formations that were formed by lava over 60 million years ago. My dad and Gemma really enjoyed the Causeway. My dad, who is known to be a little camera happy (He has had 3 camera strapped to him this entire trip!), took hundreds of shots of the rocks while miss Gemma used them as her personal playpark. We had a lovely lunch at the Causeway which was much needed because our next stop was the Bushmills Whiskey Distillery.

Bushmills is the worlds oldest licensed whiskey distillery receiving their license in 1608. My dad and I took the tour and I have to say it was very informative. At the end of the tour they asked for 2 female and 2 male volunteers. I thought it was to pass out the whiskey sample at the end of the tour, but it was to do a whiskey tasting. Jonny loves whiskey and has quite a collection, but I never touch the stuff. I went ahead with the tasting and I still have not acquired a taste for whiskey. I would have to say the Bushmills Single Malt 10 year was the best in the taste test though.

After the tour we all headed down to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. I have been to N. Ireland 8 times now and have managed to miss this tourist attraction mainly because I am kind of a chicken. The way Jonny and my inlaws always described the bridge is two ropes and a board over the sea and a bunch of rocks. Sound appealing to you? In 2000 they have made some improvements to the bridge and it seems to be quite safe so I took a chance along with Gemma and went over the bridge. It was a perfect ending to a perfectly scenic day. I am looking forward to sharing pictures most likely when I return from Northern Ireland.

2 Comments:

  • Just looking at a picture of that bridge has me quakin' in my shoes! It does look beautiful, though.

    By Blogger Mel, at 8:05 AM  

  • I can't believe you took Gemma on that bridge. It looks beautiful. Can't wait to see you when you get back and all of your pictures.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home